If you're anything like me, as soon as the temperature starts to drop you're either full of cold, or nursing a cough that never wants to shift!
This honey and lemon drink is my go-to remedy for nursing those sore throats and clearing your head. It's really simple to make, and makes for a perfect drink wrapped up at home, or in a travel mug on that morning commute.
Not only is it tasty, but there's also a ton of benefits to this great elixir, ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and both the ginger and lemon are great for digestion, and lemon is packed full of vitamin C. The honey, if you're buying from a local beekeeper, helps with seasonal allergies, and is packed with antioxidants. Plus it smells amazing too.
Recently the NHS started recommending lemon and honey as a first step for treating coughs, and suggests it has a similar effect to cough medicines.
My personal favorite to add to this is our Ringmer, Lewes Honey
Honey and Lemon Drink Recipe
- 1-inch fresh ginger root (no need to peel it)
- 1 cup water (boiling)
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey (raw, unpasteurized)
- Optional: 1 shot whiskey
- Roughly grate slice the ginger 1/4inch chunks
- Add the water, honey, and ginger to the pot
- Juice 1/2 of the lemon and add it to the pot
- Leave to brew for 2-5 minutes
- Sieve or spoon out the ginger pieces, and serve in a cup of your choice.
- Add a slice or two of lemon if you like that little extra zing.
If you fancy something a bit stronger to aid that sore throat, add a shot of whiskey to the mix and make a Hot Toddy instead.